INDEPENDENCE DAY, 2011
July 4, 2011 | Source: Monroe Gallery of Photography
Bill Eppridge: White Barn, New Preston, Connecticut, 2007
• When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
-- Declaration of Independence
• Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
-- Abraham Lincoln
• Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
• Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
-- Thomas Paine
• Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
• Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
-- Benjamin Franklin
• Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom.
-- Albert Einstein
• Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty.
-- Thomas Jefferson
• Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
• In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
-- Declaration of Independence.
via Times of Trenton Editorial Board The Times, Trenton, NJ
Across the Western United States and particularly here in New Mexico, at this time we honor all firefighters and give a very special thanks to the Wildland Firefighters.